e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia Online

Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad

Sign in or create a free account to curate your search content.

The Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad was built in 1904 from Widen to Dundon, Clay County, where it connected to the Coal & Coke Railway—later part of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O). The railroad's owner, Elk River Coal & Lumber Company, operated a mine at Widen. In 1916, the company built a sawmill at Swandale, and a logging railroad to serve it. The organizations were part of the Clay County empire of legendary industrialist J. G. Bradley.

By the early 1960s, the Buffalo Creek & Gauley was well known for its all-steam operations, rare by that time. The company was sold to Clinchfield Coal Company in 1958, the sawmill to Georgia-Pacific in 1963, and the steam locomotives were retired. Since the Widen mine closed, the railroad has been used intermittently, most recently as part of the coal-hauling Elk River Railroad in the late 1990s. Five of the Buffalo Creek & Gauley steam locomotives are preserved, but none were in West Virginia until 2023, when the Buffalo Creek & Gauley No. 4, built in 1926, was returned to service, hauling passengers on the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad between Cass and Durbin in Pocahontas County.

— Authored by George Deike

Related Articles

Related Quizzes

Cite This Article

Deike, George. "Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 08 February 2024. Web. Accessed: 06 November 2024.

08 Feb 2024